You already know Booktango makes it easy for you to publish your e-book. But, not all e-readers are created equal, so it’s always nice to have little reminders of what universally works before you upload your manuscript. Make sure to follow these seven traits of a great e-book design, which came straight from our e-book design experts:
- High resolution cover. Professional-looking covers need to be high-resolution – at least 200 ppi (pixels per inch)
- Consistent style. Make sure your style flows throughout the book. You don’t want your readers to feel like they’re in a different book with each flip of a page that has a new layout, random pictures or different font type.
- URL links that work. Isn’t it frustrating when you click on a link only to get an error message? Plus, your readers will miss out on crucial information that enhances their reading experience if your links are broken. Check your links once, twice and three times!
- Tables styled correctly (not using tabs). Sure you might think just tabbing over to create your makeshift table within your book is easier, but guess what? It’s going to be UGLY when your manuscript is formatted into an e-book. To ensure a consistent look, tables must be created as a table.
- Lists styled correctly (not as individual paragraphs). Same thing goes with lists. Make sure you create a numbered or bulleted list, not individual paragraphs.
- No blank pages. An e-book is completely different from a paperback or hardcover book. Every person who picks up the paperback or hardcover will read the exact same words on the exact same pages. Not true for an e-book. Your book will morph to fit the iPad, the nook, the Kindle Fire, etc. Blank pages within your manuscript will just throw off the layout when you upload into our Publisher.
- Images follow the paragraph text. Not all e-readers support text wrapping thus, it is best if your images follow the paragraph text on a new line instead of floating. It will look better; trust us. Lucky for you, our online publisher automatically formats images and text to meet this guideline.
If you’re in need of some extra help, Booktango offers formatting services to make publishing your e-book even easier.
What are some of your favorite e-books you’ve recently read? Did the design affect your reading experience?