Now that you’re a self-published author with Booktango, it is time to spread the word about your e-book. A great, cost-effective place to start is the Internet, which is home to several free social media sites, such as Facebook and Twitter.
One of the latest social media trends is Goodreads – an online social book catalog where readers can interact with other readers, create virtual bookshelves, rate and review books. A great way for you as an author to take advantage of Goodreads is to sign up for the Goodreads Author Program. The primary function of this free program is to help authors reach out to passionate readers. The program is a great place for you to promote your e-book.
How to promote your e-book on Goodreads:
- Add your e-book to Goodreads – Since your e-book is self-published, it may not be in the Goodreads database yet. If your book is not listed, you can add it to Goodreads by simply filling out your e-book’s information. Once your e-book is listed, you are able to start promoting your e-book.
- Upload your videos to your author page – If you’ve created a Book Video or Author Video with Booktango, you can add it to your Goodreads Author Page. Videos are a unique way for readers to learn about your e-book, as well as you as an author.
- Write a blog or import your blog – Blogging is a great way to market your book and any future books you may write. It also allows for you to keep your readers engaged and informed alerting them of upcoming book signings, readings or events.
- Start a Q&A discussion group – Avid readers enjoy interacting with authors. By starting a Q&A discussion group about your book, you can make yourself available to any questions readers might have.
- Be an active user – It is important that you don’t confuse the term “active” with “spammer.” While you want to be an active Goodreads user and inform people about your book, you don’t want to be so over the top about it that people start reporting your posts as spam. Join groups related to your e-book’s genre and partake in discussions. Write reviews on the books you read and add your favorite books to your virtual bookshelf. Plus, there is a Goodreads app (iPhone and Android), and members are able to sync their Goodreads account with their Facebook account making it user friendly.
If you are looking for another way to promote your book, Goodreads does offer a Self-Serve Advertising service.
Social media is a great way to promote your book because it can be accessed 24/7. As an author, Goodreads is a must-have social media account. Goodreads accounts are set up so that only Goodreads authors are able to upload videos, lead Q&A discussion groups and maintain a blog on their profile. Take advantage of all the free publicity for your e-book by registering it on Goodreads and signing up for the Goodreads Author Program today.
Are you on Goodreads yet? Why or why not?